Hebb's Fires and Wires

A different kind of fire. The analogy is that we want what we are teaching to not only be a flicker, but become a continuous flame.

 

What do you think that Hebb meant when he claimed that, 'cells that fire together, wire together'? How will this influence the way that you teach?

I just love how the above quote rhymes. Makes it easier for me to remember and to process. I’m also a big fan of analogies and this quote helps me imagine the learning process, ZIP, ZAP, POW. All that electrostatic neuron action. Overall, I agree with what this statement is (I think) intended for. Actions that are done repeatedly together will eventually become one. I think of all the things this is true for. For example as I type, I don’t need to look at my keys to know where the letters are. I’ve wired the hand coordination into my brain and hands with repeated trials (and mistakes, but now I am even proficient with the delete key without looking). Also, reading without sounding out words, making coffee as one motion instead of processing all the individual steps that it takes to make it.

               The application to teaching is boundless as so much of what we are learning needs to be essentially hardwired for fast retrieval. We want number facts memorized, instant recall on words and phonetic rules. If those needed connections will form better with repeated relational firing. Then it is the way to go. I can see this application in the classroom when kids are taught movements to go with letter sounds. Kindergarteners recently did “kangaroo kicks” for K. I saw students forget the name, but remember the action needed. Since they were learning in a variety of ways, students would be provided with more ways to fire and wire connections together. Later in reading and writing, they will be able to enhance their learning by enforcing and strengthening those connections as they add spelling rules, font differences, and the sounds of letters to the basic connection that was started.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Almost Playground

Ugh

Allergies Of Course